Your brain is involved in everything you do, how you feel, think, act, and interact. Are you feeling tired and exhausted, or energized? Are you successful or just getting by? Are you happy or are you depressed? Do you have good relationships, or do you quarrel all the time? Are you focused or are you easily distracted? Do you start lots of projects and never finish them? Do you enjoy what you do, or do you just live day by day?
You can measure your answers to each question by giving yourself a number on a scale of 1-10 of where you are. Did you give yourself a 7 or lower? You can, with the right habits, literally change your brain, change your life.
Here are my 6 favorite ways to keep your brain young and healthy:
1. Number one on my list is diet. Your brain is only 2% of your body weight but it uses 25% of the calories you consume. If you don’t feed it properly, you won’t think properly. The best foods for your brain are: omega-3 fatty acids from oily fish or supplements, berries, turmeric, broccoli, kale, nuts, avocados, green tea.
2. Exercise: if you don’t move daily, you die early. The stronger you are, the better your physical health and your energy levels, and less likely you are going to get chronic or Alzheimer’s disease. Exercise is critical.
3. Sleep. You need 8 hours of sleep. Less than that lowers the overall blood flow to the brain, more bad decisions. Your body and brain need to recharge, refuel. Do you have cravings? Improve your sleep. Proper duration of sleep leads to higher cognitive scores, less stress, higher life satisfaction, better health, more productivity, more profitability, and less conflict.
4. New Learning. Learn something new, for example, a new language, playing on an instrument. Find a creative hobby such as painting or dancing. Challenge yourself and your brain to something new you have never tried before: yoga, gardening, create videos. I am on my 24th barre class and still going. These all help promote cognitive flexibility.
5. Essential Oils. Toxins in our home, in our cleaning supplies, in our personal care and beauty products all have negative effects on our brain. Opt for chemical fee healthier options infused with essential oils. My favorite brain oils are rosemary, frankincense, bergamot, and lemon. Diffuse 5 drops of lemon and one drop of rosemary for better focus. Or create a blend of 8 drops of lemon, 6 drops of frankincense, and 2 drops of rosemary essential oils with your favorite carrier oil in a 10 ml roll-on bottle and apply topically to your neck for a quick brain boost.
6. Good relationships. The brain needs social connections. Spend time enjoying the company of others, actively participate in groups. Reach out to friends and family. Join a book club. Join a sports club (when we can safely go out again). Volunteer. These are all great ways to make new connections.
Did you know that Alzheimer’s starts 20-30 years before you start seeing any symptoms? Why not take care of your brain every day starting NOW so you can enjoy a quality life for a long time?
Are you interested in learning more about how you can create long-lasting habits that will help you become energized, successful, create better focus, be able to make better decisions, improve your relationships, lose weight, and feeling the joy? With the right food and simple daily habits, I can empower you to keep your brain young, energize your body so you can live fully every day!
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for a free 50-minute consultation. Nobody cares about their brain because they can’t see it. I want you to care about your brain!